How to Apply:
Both parties must appear together at the Recorder’s Office with proper identification.
(please print and fill out before coming to the office)
When to Apply:
- Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, except legal holidays.
- However, marriage applications are taken from 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Allow approximately 15 minutes to complete the application process.
- State statute no longer requires applicants to wait three days before the Recorder can issue the license.
- Blood relatives, down to and including first cousins, may not marry under the laws of the State of Missouri.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age (male or female) to marry without parental consent.
- Persons between the ages of 15 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of their Custodial parent. Parents must give consent in person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
- Previously married applicants must give month and year their last marriage ended.
- There is no blood test.
Identification and proof of age is required of ALL persons. The following documents will be accepted:
When to Pick Up the License:
- Marriage Licenses are valid for thirty (30) days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere within the State of Missouri.
- The License must be paid for in cash or check with current address and phone number.
- The fee is $61.00 (included certified copy & marriage card).
- Minors are an additional $1.00 each.
- This fee is paid at the time of application. Marriage license certification cards are not required but are available for $2.00.
What to Do with the License:
You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage.
The officiator must complete the marriage license, then return it to the Recorder’s Office within 15 days after the wedding.
Marriage licenses can either be hand delivered or mailed directly to:
Washington County Recorder of Deeds
102 N Missouri St.
Potosi, MO 63664